Thursday, November 8, 2012

New Update...

I'm sorry it's been so long since I've updated on things going on, but I'm going to try and get back going and updating on everything going on. So here's a quick, little update on what's been happening....
On the first of this month I went in to have my lab work for my adrenal glands rechecked. Well, the results came back and again, I broke down in tears. My baseline cortisol level (which is what your adrenal glands produce) came back at less than 1, so it basically hasn't improved at all! They also did another test as well that looks at your adrenal glands, called aldosterone, and the endocrinologist told me that she was surprised at how low that one was as well! So as I asked her if there was anything at all that we could do to figure out why these things were happening and what we could do to fix things, she said that: 1-Earlier on when we did tests for my pituitary gland it was looking good so it didn't look like I had addison's disease (which is definitely good), however, it's taking a long time for my body to be able to get off these steroids (which appears strange). 2-She added an additional steroid on to my regimen of meds, and then we'd see if that helps to make me feel a little better and give me some more energy. 3-That, it sounded like coming from what she was saying but I don't know for sure, maybe there could be something else like addison's going on but the lab work isn't showing everything (because low cortisol and low aldosterone are both signs of addison's). 4-When I asked if I may have to be on steroids for the rest of my life, she kind of paused and said 'maybe, that's what we're trying to figure out.'
Then, yesterday, I had been feeling so sick, extremely tired, and just not myself the majority of the last couple weeks (I've tapered back down to 7.5mg--which is where I had problems before and had to go back up on my steroids), so we talked to the endocrinologist again and she had me increase my original steroid again back up to 10mg to see if it would help and then stay on that dosage until next Monday and we'll call her and see what the plan is. The good news though is that increasing the steroid dose has helped me feel better!
The other update is that I am going back down to the Huntsman Cancer Institute to see the doctor for my osteonecrosis, and see if there is anything he can do yet to help with things since I am at a lower dose on my steroids; or, if I'm going to have to be completely off of the steroids before he can do anything. Although, if that's the case (that I have to be completely off the steroids), that makes me nervous because we don't know for sure yet if I will be able to get off the steroids completely. So, all that I can do is hope and pray!!! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment